A few questions, before I join.

11 Replies, 6025 Views

So, I've been bouncing around between a few private servers for a while. I can't find a single RP server that hasn't absolutely pissed me off, though. So here's a few questions so I won't have to waste a month on the server before deciding it's not for me.

1) What is the servers' stance on PvP? Specifically, PvP that the other person does not want to participate in. I'm not a PvPer. Never will be. I just don't enjoy it. So naturally, I'm going to just instantly die in a PvP scenario.

2) How is character death handled on this server, if at all? Another big thing that turned me off from one of the other two servers is that, if someone else wants your character dead IC, it's going to happen. You had plans for your character? You're having fun? Too bad, reroll. I cannot even explain adequately how much I hate that. That's not to say that my character's won't lose every now and again. Heck, I prefer my characters to be an apprentice mage, or a squire, rather than an Archmage or a Silver Hand Knight. I'd just rather break a leg than have to completely scrap a character.

3) How does the server view lore-breaking characters, or the blind spots in lore? I don't want to see any half-demon/half-elf paladins who is the son of Arthas, of course. But at the same time, Warcraft lore has always been spotty. Is there some sort of general consensus on what lore doesn't say? Or do we just try our best not to step on eachothers' toes, in regards to lore, and oh, the reason X happened to you instead of Y is because Z affects everyone differently?

4) Can we RP as non-playable races? Of course dragons are out of the picture. I'm more curious about things like banshees, or Jinyu. One server I was on wouldn't have any of that (and so 80% of the player base was humans), and another server allowed pretty much everything, so long as you knew the lore behind it.

5) How is the server's population? Speaking of 80% of a server's population being humans, is it like that here? There was next to no Horde RP on one of the servers I was on, and the Alliance was mostly humans. Only saw a handful of gnomes, and only, like, two dwarves. Most of those humans were paladins, too, come to think of it. This isn't a big deal-breaker, if there's not a lot of diversity, though, but it's still something I'm curious about.

EDIT:

6) How many players are on at peak hours, and what <I><s></s>are<e></e></I> the peak hours? Self-explainatory.

I'll edit my post if I think of anything else. If I join, glad to be here! If I don't, have fun, I'll go server-hopping, see ya.
1. PvP is all either trust or rolls, really depending on the preferences of those who are fighting. It is also entirely consenting, so if you do not want to, nothing is forcing you.

2. Character death is also consenting. You have to agree to it before someone kills you.

3. The players here are really rather good about what they do. You wont find anything stupid and lorebreaking, at least not at the higher echelons. The server tries its best to stick to lore and examples therein.

4. Yes! There is a short and sweet Morph Request system down in the subforums below that has a list of what you can play and a list of what you cannot. If accepted, or if it is a Tier 0 morph, you can get a Staff Member to toss you the morph in game!

5. As with all things, it fluctuates. One month it's Alliance, the next it is Horde. It's really just a matter of what all is going on currently.

I hope that helps!
[Image: d8WtFo4.jpg]
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Chalker</dt><dd>Jul 6 2015, 07:49:07 PM</dd></dl><div>1. PvP is all either trust or rolls, really depending on the preferences of those who are fighting. It is also entirely consenting, so if you do not want to, nothing is forcing you.

2. Character death is also consenting. You have to agree to it before someone kills you.[/quote]<I><s></s>HAVE I FOUND JESUS? HAVE I FOUND THE GATES OF ROLEPLAYING HEAVEN?!<e></e></I>

I am ecstatic to hear this. This is the one thing that made me completely quit the other servers I've tried. I just cannot commit to a character with the threat of death looming over my head.
Generally maiming and death are considered to be rather large and damaging events in a characters history. So, it's really only logical to consent to it. Just be aware that sometimes events have those warnings and it's up to you to risk it.

Other than that, welcome on to the server!
[Image: d8WtFo4.jpg]
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Chalker</dt><dd>Jul 6 2015, 07:55:13 PM</dd></dl><div>Generally maiming and death are considered to be rather large and damaging events in a characters history. So, it's really only logical to consent to it. Just be aware that sometimes events have those warnings and it's up to you to risk it.

Other than that, welcome on to the server![/quote]It feels so good to actually hear this from everyone else. On the other server, characters died left and right, and everyone just said "This is a thing that happens, get over it and reroll." If you dared speak up and say that the rules were absolute bullshit, though, then you'd be ridiculed and laughed off the server.

So this is pretty cathartic, finally finding a server that makes fucking <I><s></s>sense<e></e></I>.
1.) - We don't PvP here. If you want to PvP, you can do so in Gurubashi Arena, and it has to be a mutual thing. We don't allow PvP in the mall or in open-ended areas. PvP only happens in Gurubashi and/or battleground instances.

2.) Character death is handled very specifically on Freedom. We don't allow any players to instantly kill you. You have to be able to come out of it somehow, alive. No character can show up, backstab you, kill you, and then run off. They need to whisper you and get your consent before killing your character. Events are a little bit more loose. An event-leader might warn the attendees that their character can die at some point during the event but still require permission to kill them.

3.) No lore-breaking. All characters, classes, etc, must be strictly followed with appropriate lore. If there's a point in lore that isn't fully explained, you can talk to staff about it and get some info and help develop a better understanding for people in the future.

4.) Yes you can RP as non-playable races, though, some require a morph application. A handful, though, do not need to be applied for. If you check out [url="http://w11.zetaboards.com/WoW_Freedom/topic/11118482/1/#new"><s></s>this post you can see a list of Tier 0 morphs which require no application.

5.) The population is mixed. Most players here have dozens of alts that range from Val'kyr to Kobold. If there's a specific kind of RP you're looking for, we've got a [url="http://w11.zetaboards.com/WoW_Freedom/forum/4215510/"><s></s>new section exactly for it!

6.) I've seen a peak of 47 players on at one time. Our server runs on UTC -5 and I'd say the peak is anywhere between 2 PM and 8 PM. Although, even during non-peak times we've got a minimum of 10 people on -- unless it's something like an exam week. EDIT: It looks like there's 4 people on our Cata server right now. So, it's fluctuates but there's always at least somebody online, at least.
1) What is the servers' stance on PvP? PVP is strictly a leiurely out of character activity that is 100% optional and has no place in RP.

2) How is character death handled on this server, if at all? It's a matter of consent, but if your get yourself into a stupid situation, or do something foolish ICly, you're expected to be mature about it. That isn't to say that all mistakes should be lethal, but they shouldn't be without consequence either.

3) How does the server view lore-breaking characters, or the blind spots in lore? Don't break lore, it's fine to bend it.

4) Can we RP as non-playable races? Yes, you can. You can also be a Drake, but adult Dragons aren't allowed.

5) How is the server's population? It's very flavor of the month, but almost everyone has a character in various factions, and almost everyone has an alliance and a horde character. One is never dominating the other. See-saw effect.

6) Peak player count: I've seen about 30

Also hello.
I think most of the questions have pretty much already been answered, so I'll just add two things.

2) Though character death is consenting, as said above that doesn't mean you can walk into Stormwind as an orc and expect to get away with it scot-free. Character death, serious injury and etc. do require your consent, but in some situations where your character has ventured into somewhere they really shouldn't, you are expected to understand that there'll be consequences. That's not saying the character will necessarily be immediately executed but, e.g. in the Stormwind example, if a group of players find you and trap you, you won't be able to resist consequences by saying they need your consent, since it's generally held that if you enter such very dangerous areas as the opposite faction capital you're giving your consent right then and there. That said, the players on this server aren't vicious assholes, so even in that example they'd be more likely I think to just imprison you and maybe even let you RP out an escape at some point...

3) The server rules have some general points about lore-breaking, for example you cannot play the relative of a lore character and etc. However, there has always been 'bending of lore' on the server, where people can use their creativity - within reason - to make some more custom stuff. Blind spots in lore, well, most often people try to piece together something to fill the gap via conjecture from other bits of lore or just what they think makes the most sense.

That said, if there's anything significant you want to do custom lore-wise, you should make a thread in 'Contact the Staff' forum and we'll get back to you fairly quickly about whether we think it's do-able. If you aren't sure whether you should ask us... just ask us anyway. <E>Big Grin</E>

Usually we just check to make sure it won't somehow block something that happens in retail, doesn't contradict things stated in retail, and that it's sensible.

And also, welcome!
Welcome to Freedom!
Hey there! I see so many people have answered your questions~ If you have anymore questions, or just want to talk in general I would love to help you out. Also if you need any recommendations on places to visit on the forums I have a few pages that's pretty useful =D Anywho, welcome to freedom <3
Also I've seen us at 48 before, other days ive seen us at 6 it just depends on the day, whats going on, and with the test server for MoP up, we're fluctuating even more xD
Welcome