[Important] Loot rules

4 Replies, 4122 Views

Loot Rules

Hey guys. I think it is time to officially formalize Freedom’s loot rules. For awhile now we have been going off this weird murky rule set that changed every once in awhile and confused players and GMs alike. Now however, this will give us a concrete rules and give players some idea on how loot handling works. Keep in mind this is for loot that drops from the main event only. This has no bearing on how Storytellers decided to drop loot from their events but they are free to use this system if they wish.

Rolling: Much like on retail, when two or more players are interested in an item that drops, they roll on it and the highest roll wins. This may seem like a very dull and lazy way to decided who gets what, but I believe it is the fairest and easiest way to decide. It prevents claims of GM bias and keeps the loot random enough that it’s not falling into one player or a select few players hands.

Priority and Free rolls: Priority and Free rolls are a new system I have come up with. Those who attended Stratholme have seen a sort of beta test for this.

Priority Rolls: These are the first rolls for an item. When we begin handing out loot, it is all considered Priority. This means the GM handing out the loot will be a lot more stringent in who can roll for what. It won’t be oppressive but if we feel a player is hoarding items or rolling on a item they don’t need, the GM can step in tell them to let another player or players have their chance at an item. An example of this would be a mage rolling on a two handed sword clearly meant for a melee fighter or a melee fighter rolling on an item clearly meant for a mage or other type of magic user. Once a user has won an item from a priority roll they cannot roll on another item unless we have entered the free roll phase.

Free Rolls: Free rolls are basically a chance at extra loot. While it used to be a player could have an unlimited number of free rolls, for now we are limiting the number of Free rolls to 2 items each. Essentially this means you have a chance at walking away from the event with 3 items. If there are still items available at the end of the Free Roll phase, then those items will instead be transferred over to the quest items npc to be obtained by anyone who may not have attended the event. This is still up to GMs discretion however and if we feel you are just hoarding items we will ask you step aside.

Why do Priority when we can just wait for Free Rolls?: This is an argument I foresee so let me explain why we have the two systems and why just waiting for Free Rolls is not a good idea. Priority rolls are made for people who really want or need a certain item. Let’s say you want a two-handed sword that has dropped. So does Bob. You decide to wait till Free Rolls so you can get that item and possibly more. However, if Bob doesn’t wait, he gets the two handed sword unopposed or if he decides to wait, you risk rolling against Bob and everyone else who thinks they may want the item.

Its simply riskier to wait for an item to go into the Free Roll stage because you will be facing a lot more competition for said item. It is my personal recommendation is that you use Priority Roll on an item you really want or need and use Free rolls on items you're either unsure of wanting or are only moderate upgrades.

Giving items away: We understand that sometimes players either have too many items, take their characters down new paths or even do not want an item anymore. However, the staff does not want items just being passed from person to person until we have no idea who has it. We will allow players to pass on items gained from Main Events to other players, we just ask you please either talk to a staff member first or make a quick CTS saying who you're giving the item to and the effect of the item so we can update our list accordingly.
I remember in Stratholme, this system took a bit of time. It wasn't really a hassle, but I do remember it standing out. Have you thought of anything to maybe quicken the new system?

Otherwise, though, I like it. Especially the one-priority-roll-per-person rule, if you're keeping that from Stratholme.
[Image: 6H8JFlV.jpg]
The pine tree wastes which is perched on the hill,
nor bark nor needles shelter it;
such is the man whom none doth love;
for what should he longer live?
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>33Vikings</dt><dd>Jun 25 2016, 07:43:59 AM</dd></dl><div>I remember in Stratholme, this system took a bit of time. It wasn't really a hassle, but I do remember it standing out. Have you thought of anything to maybe quicken the new system?[/quote]Strath was long because we had a multitude of items. Dead side alone, the one where I tested this out, had almost 20 items. Compare that to the Brewery which only had 7, the norm for most of the 5 mans we have been doing. Time shouldn't be an issue but it does become one I may make a faster version for instances with more loot.
Excellent!
[Image: 6H8JFlV.jpg]
The pine tree wastes which is perched on the hill,
nor bark nor needles shelter it;
such is the man whom none doth love;
for what should he longer live?
Redid the Free Loot rules

Free Rolls: Free rolls are basically a chance at extra loot. While it used to be a player could have an unlimited number of free rolls, for now we are limiting the number of Free rolls to 2 items each. Essentially this means you have a chance at walking away from the event with 3 items. If there are still items available at the end of the Free Roll phase, then those items will instead be transferred over to the quest items npc to be obtained by anyone who may not have attended the event. This is still up to GMs discretion however and if we feel you are just hoarding items we will ask you step aside.