[Important] New WoW Freedom Wiki

15 Replies, 9662 Views

After several weeks of development, the new wiki is up and ready for pages to be made on it. You may be wondering, 'but didn't a new wiki just come out!?' and you'd be correct, however this wiki is more advanced and has a WoWpedia look to it due to the add-ons we've included. We hope this new wiki will serve Freedom better than the more simpler wikis we've had in the past as we have much more control over it.

As far as we can see, most of the bugs have been dealt with and it should be running fine, but if you encounter any post it here or let someone in staff know. The wiki is subject to change of course as it's only just been made but we're unlikely to move wikis again.

<COLOR color="#FFFFFF"><s></s>New Wiki URL: [url="http://wiki.wowfreedom-rp.com/wiki/Main_Page"><s></s>http://wiki.wowfreedom-rp.com/wiki/Main_Page

I will be updating the main page every week to include new characters and Featured Articles of the Week. Want to get your character on the front page? Make a nice wiki profile that others can read. For now I will do it every week and will continue doing so unless we haven't got many pages and if that's the case I'll do it every fortnight instead.

But how does one <I><s></s>really <e></e></I>use a wiki? Never used a wiki before and having problems making one? Well, we have a few people on the server that can help you and I will be making a tutorial soon to cover everything. However for the mean time here's a FAQ:

1. How do I make a page?

Search for the name of the page you want to make on the top right search bar. Once it sees that the page doesn't exist, it will give you the the option to make one below.

2. How do I add myself to the main page?

You don't, a wiki admin will do that. You can add your character or guild to a catagory by putting [[Category:Alliance]], [[Category:Horde]] or [[Category:Neutral]] on your page somewhere (preferably the top). This will make it easier for us to see who needs to be added on the main page. There will be a limit of those on the front page depending on how many pages are made, which will be given to those with the best pages.

3. Who are the admins of the wiki?

Currently they are Azeroc, Crow, Pepper and Shelby.

4. Will my wiki page still work if I copy it over from the old wiki?

Yes, but you will have to reupload any images (call them the same name and it'll update on your page automatically). The infobox code is different so you will have to change that. Look below for infobox codes.

5. What is an infobox and how do I add one on my page?

An infobox is a box on the right side of your page which gives brief details about the character. They can be as long or as short as you want them to be and are relatively easy to put in after you know how. Have a look at [url="http://wiki.wowfreedom-rp.com/wiki/Durkon_Greyhammer"><s></s>Durkon Greyhammer's or [url="http://wiki.wowfreedom-rp.com/wiki/Garrow_Goldenbrew"><s></s>Garrow Goldenbrew's page for examples of uses of an infobox.

Here are codes you can use and edit to put an infobox on your page. It'd recommended to do this at the very top of your page so it doesn't mess with your text.

<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Alliance</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">

<blockquote class='code_blockquote'><dl><dt>Code: </dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><code>{{Infobox

| above = [[File:Alliance_32.png]] Character Name

| abovestyle = background:#003366;

| headerstyle = background:#194775;

| image = [[File:enterpicname.jpg]]

| header1 =

| label2 = Titles | data2 =

| label3 = Item 2 | data3 =

| label4 = Item 3 | data4 =

| header5 = Characteristics

| label6 = Race | data6 =

| label7 = Class | data7 =

| label8 = Gender | data8 =

| label9 = Age | data9 =

| header10 = Professional Information

| label11 = Affiliation | data11 =

| label12 = Previous Affiliation | data12 =

| label13 = Occupation | data13 =

| label14 = Previous Occupation | data14 =

| label15 = Profession | data15 =

| label16 = Mentor(s) | data16 =

| label17 = Companion(s) | data17 =

| label18 = Main Location | data18 =

| header19 = Personal Information

| label20 = Status | data20 =

| label21 = Alignment | data21 =

| label22 = Languages | data22 =

| label23 = Relatives | data23 =

| header24 = Battle Information

| label25 = Magic | data25 = None

| label26 = Weapons | data26 =

| label27 = Armour | data27 =

| label28 = Items | data28 =

}}</code></blockquote>

</div>

<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Neutral</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">

<blockquote class='code_blockquote'><dl><dt>Code: </dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><code>{{Infobox

| above = [[File:Neutral_32.png]] Character Name

| abovestyle = background:#6f6f6f;

| headerstyle = background:#7f7f7f;

| header1 =

| label9 = Age | data9 =

}}</code></blockquote>

</div>

<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Horde</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">

| above = [[File:Horde_32.png]] Character Name

| abovestyle = background:#660000;

| headerstyle = background:#880000;

| header1 =

| label9 = Age | data9 =

}}</code></blockquote>

</div>

Feel adventurous? Here's the [url="http://wiki.wowfreedom-rp.com/wiki/Template:Infobox"><s></s>full list of everything you can do with your infobox.

To any staff: please feel completely free to edit and add to this.

I hope this helps. Send me a PM if you have troubles. If you want to be listed as someone who can help others with their wiki please let me know as that'd be a great help. Enjoy.

<small><small>inb4 i mucked up something on this thread</small></small>

<blockquote class='staff_blockquote'><dl><dt>[STAFF] Staff Only</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>FEEL FREE TO EDIT THIS[/quote]
Thank you - I love this.
Oh this is nice. Good work on it. <E>Smile</E>
Are you going to change the link on the forums (near donation)?
[Image: 6H8JFlV.jpg]
The pine tree wastes which is perched on the hill,
nor bark nor needles shelter it;
such is the man whom none doth love;
for what should he longer live?
Yep! let me do that riigghhtt now
I have an interesting suggestion: why not have people write pages for their artifacts and important belongings under their character's namespace? It was something I was pushing for on the CotH wiki, and I did up an example page for my old Death Knight's runeblade which can serve to show what I mean.

[url="http://wiki.conquestofthehorde.com/Aidan/Silverflame"><s></s>http://wiki.conquestofthehorde.com/Aidan/Silverflame
Another suggestion by someone else for the CotH Wiki was a category for named pets, mountains, animal companions and such.

That aside, the Wiki is great.
By all means, the more pages the better. I can edit the main page to accustom such things.
The important thing is to have people keep their page-creation tidy and use the same general categories as other people (to make things easily searchable).
Woah, the amount of pages the wiki has got in these few hours is great. Will keep extending the list on the main page for more pages.

If you want to see all the pages made so far just go to this link: [url="http://wiki.wowfreedom-rp.com/wiki/Special:AllPages"><s></s>http://wiki.wowfreedom-rp.com/wiki/Special:AllPages (will add this to menu bar tomorrow)
This is so cool. I'm loving the new Freedom.
Will be updating the main page table soon to make it far less awkward. Tutorial is still WIP, will change the featured article every Sunday (starting tomorrow)

EDIT: Table didn't work out xD reverting to old one. May still work on a replacement at some point but ye
Just a side note it'll be featured article of the fortnight now.

Not because I'm a lazy asshole (although sometimes the case) but because I'm afraid of running out of articles xD
Wiki Updates - New Templates v1

<I><s></s>"Minor updates, massive wall of text"<e></e></I>

Hey guys, Azeroc and I have been working on getting new templates on the wiki to improve some aspects of it. While at the moment they might be quite minor things, when we have a nice selection of these templates uploaded we'll be able to do all sorts of stuff.

We've added four new templates for now but I suspect I'll be adding more in the coming weeks. These four templates might help your pages if you're feeling ambitious or if want to add a nice tweak to it. I'll be adding this to the main post sometime soon and the tutorial whenever I make it.

Thread subject to change and staff/wiki admins are free to edit this post yada yada yada

>> Examples of everything below can be seen on the [url="http://wiki.wowfreedom-rp.com/wiki/Testing"><s></s>Testing page <<

1. Parent Tab Template

A fancy menu bar for your page. This is for people who want several pages for one character. It's also useful for people who have pages for their weapons, as it'll give a useful link at the top of your pages.

'base' means the page you're currently on. When clicking on one of the other pages it'll go to that page, so if I clicked on Test (tab2), it's take me to 'Testing/Test' (NOT Test). For instance, [url="http://wiki.wowfreedom-rp.com/wiki/Aidan_Medren/Redemption"><s></s>this page for Aidan Medren's sword Redemption has his name first before it.

Feel free to experiment with the different color options below base to make it look specific for your character as well.

<blockquote class='code_blockquote'><dl><dt>Code: </dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><code>{{Parent Tab Template

|base=Testing

|backcolor=#CCCC

|altbackcolor=#CCCC

|textcolor=#bfbfbf

|bordercolor=darkred

|activeborder=red

|borderradius=6

|height=2.2

|maxwidth=50

|tab1=Testing

|tab2=Test

|tab3=Test

|tab4=Test

|tab5=Test

|tab6=Test

|tab7=Test

}}</code></blockquote>

2. Collapse (Spoilers)

For now it's just a grey color to go with the background, however I'll be adding different colors to go with different factions eventually. But this template is simply a fancy spoiler if you wanted to put info in a spoiler.

To add one all you need to put on your page is this simple code:

<blockquote class='code_blockquote'><dl><dt>Code: </dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><code>

{{collapse top|title=This is the title text}}

Add content of spoiler here

{{collapse bottom}}</code></blockquote>

3. Switch

You can use switch to switch from one picture/piece of text to another by clicking on the links below. It's especially useful for people who want more than one picture in their infobox (but can be used for other purposes as you see fit).

I've used the page for my character [url="http://wiki.wowfreedom-rp.com/wiki/Aylana_Everchain"><s></s>Aylana Everchain as an example - above the picture of her in the infobox there are two links 'Current' and 'Argent Dawn', which when clicked go to different pictures of her.

<I><s></s>At the moment it's limited to only these two links, but I will be adding another template for three links in the next update.<e></e></I>

<blockquote class='code_blockquote'><dl><dt>Code: </dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><code>{{switch|option1=Picture 1|[[File:enterpicname.jpg|300px]]|option2=Picture2|[[File:enterpicname.jpg|300px]]}}</code></blockquote>

4. Toggle

Toggle was really just a template necessary to get switch to work, but it does have some functions you might find useful. The first is a function very similar to switch, there it goes between two pieces of text or pictures. The difference is this one is below the content instead of above it and the text is easier to customize. I have put two spaces after 'picture 1' (the  ) which you can feel free to remove should you not want spaces there.

Please be watchful of the |. If you delete them it won't work, just edit where I've put in caps.

<blockquote class='code_blockquote'><dl><dt>Code: </dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><code>

{{Toggle|TEXT OR PICTURE HERE||var1}} <!-- var1 text will be displayed at start since it is the first parameter -->

{{Toggle||TEXT OR PICTURE HERE|var2}} <!-- var2 text will be hidden at start since it is the second parameter -->

<span class="_toggler_hide-var1 _toggler_show-var2">BUTTON NAME 1</span>  

<span class="_toggler_hide-var2 _toggler_show-var1">BUTTON NAME 2</span></code></blockquote>

The second is a more basic, lightweight collapse. Unlike collapse this one is open when you open the page, it just has the option for users to hide it if they wish.

<blockquote class='code_blockquote'><dl><dt>Code: </dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><code>{{Toggle|TEXT OR PICTURE HERE||tata}}

<span class="_toggler-tata">Hide</span></code></blockquote>

This last function changes a picture/text into another picture/text. Quite similar to switch and the first toggle function, but it's here if you want to use it.

<blockquote class='code_blockquote'><dl><dt>Code: </dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><code>{{Toggle|ENTER FIRST|ENTER SECOND|toto}}

<span class="_toggler-toto">BUTTON NAME</span></code></blockquote>

>> Examples of everything above can be seen on the [url="http://wiki.wowfreedom-rp.com/wiki/Testing"><s></s>Testing page <<

Thanks for reading and I hope you like these new features, even if they're quite minor. Send me messages if you have any ideas for the wiki. If you get stuck on anything or notice any bugs send me a message through the forums, steam or skype (I'm in the Freedom chat).

inb4 something wrong in text wall omg
Some quick updates

1. Familytree template is up - if you wanted to show a family tree for your character, look no further. It's a bit complicated though so it'll be easier to show you on an actual wiki page, have a look here: [url="http://wiki.wowfreedom-rp.com/wiki/Template:Familytree"><s></s>http://wiki.wowfreedom-rp.com/wiki/Template:Familytree

2. switch3 template is up too. It works exactly like switch but has 3 options, it just has a slightly different code:

<blockquote class='code_blockquote'><dl><dt>Code: </dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><code>{{switch3|option1=Picture 1|[[File:enterpicname.jpg|300px]]|option2=Picture2|[[File:enterpicname.jpg|300px]]|option3=Picture 3|[[File:enterpicname.jpg|300px]]|}}</code></blockquote>

3. Main page is updated with more up to date interactive aspects and a guild tab. It's still a WIP, but it's getting better each update.