Tavern Games

8 Replies, 5484 Views

Alright so Maforis introduced a [url="http://w11.zetaboards.com/WoW_Freedom/topic/10479012/1/"><s></s>card game into the tavern life and I think it was a genius idea. :Up:

But it also got me thinking "What other games would people play while drinking and singing drunken songs or sea shanties?"

Of course cards are a viable answer but it got me thinking, would everyone have a deck of poker cards? I thought it might be quite expensive to make a deck seeing as we do RP in a medieval-fantasy setting.

My first idea was the dice poker from the Witcher game series. Some of you may have played the game and as of yesterday, three people played dice poker ICly ingame.

Here are the basics.

• Each game consists of one round unless a draw occurs.

• The round starts with you placing the bid. The opponent accepts or raises the bid and you are given the first option to take or to pass.

• You and your opponent roll all five dice.

• At this moment you can choose to raise the bid, match it or resign. At this moment you can also choose to re-roll any dice or none.

• You re-roll selected dice if any and can see the final result. Whoever has the better combination of dice after re-rolling wins the game. If both players have the same combinations, the highest roll wins. If both rolls are exactly the same it's a draw and another round begins with the same bid.

• Winning combinations are (highest to lowest):

Five-of-a-kind – five dice showing the same value

Four-of-a-kind – four dice showing the same value

Full House – a pair and a three

Six-high straight – dice showing II, III, IV, V and VI

Five-high straight – dice showing I, II, III, IV and V

Three-of-a-kind – three dice showing the same value

Two pairs – dice showing two matched pairs of values

One pair – dice showing a single matched pair of values

Other games one could play in a tavern would indeed be poker or one of -many- real-life or fantasy types of [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_games#Card_games"><s></s>card games.

As far as I know, the most important factor WHY there would be gaming (and through that gambling) in taverns is because of Goblins. They would not pass on the chance to rip someone off and someone could bring the idea of a game back to Stormwind/Silvermoon/Ironforge with them.

Each race could have an individual version of a card game, for example Blood Elves could have different rules for poker than Humans. Or Dwarves and Gnomes could have different looking sets or rules for dice poker.

By all means I'm not saying "DO THIS FROM NOW ON!", just thinking I'd throw this suggestion in the air and see what happens.

Credit goes to:

- Maforis for starting the tavern game thing.

- CD Projekt for Witcher 1/2/3

- Wikipedia for the fictional card games webpage

PS. Apartments and Accountants (a parallel universe version of Dungeons and Dragons) [from Simon the Sorcerer] anyone else feel like this could be absolutely hilarious? Like Tiny Tina's rpg in BL2
Azeroth has its own versions of Dungeons and Dragons in Freedom.

It's called Kobolds and Kaverns, created by Thornin, the Dwarf Templar. We played that shit in Uldum. I might touch up on it, maybe post a simplified DND4E.
Sounds cool :Up:
None of these games compare to the Fifth Legions strip dice!
Oddly enough that variation does not surprise me as much as it should...Especially that strip dice poker was erm WOULD BE quite amusing.
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Pepper</dt><dd>Aug 17 2014, 01:51:37 AM</dd></dl><div>None of these games compare to the Fifth Legions strip dice![/quote]Great-father Winter will never be the same.
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>1337Goblin</dt><dd>Aug 17 2014, 04:10:04 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Pepper</dt><dd>Aug 17 2014, 01:51:37 AM</dd></dl><div>None of these games compare to the Fifth Legions strip dice![/quote]Great-father Winter will never be the same. [/quote]RIP in peace, Ripley's dignity.

Also, there are a few addons on Curse.com for games, I know a few friends and I have downloaded Black Jack (or something) that was just a little pop-up on screen.
This is what I like, an idea is thrown out and it gets feedback! <E>Big Grin</E> Rock on!
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Lizzie</dt><dd>Aug 17 2014, 07:32:25 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>1337Goblin</dt><dd>Aug 17 2014, 04:10:04 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Pepper</dt><dd>Aug 17 2014, 01:51:37 AM</dd></dl><div>None of these games compare to the Fifth Legions strip dice![/quote]Great-father Winter will never be the same. [/quote]RIP in peace, Ripley's dignity.

Also, there are a few addons on Curse.com for games, I know a few friends and I have downloaded Black Jack (or something) that was just a little pop-up on screen. [/quote]Playing blackjack ICly was fun.